Sometimes, we make mistakes of plugging out the external hard drives or pen drives directly from the system, either manually or due to some other reasons (e.g. Power failure for powered hard drives). Although, many external drives have an option in the properties to select, if one needs to remove the drive by “safely removing” method or one can remove it directly. If the latter option is checked, there is no problem in ejecting the drive directly. If the “safely removing” option is checked, then it may arise such type of problems, if you remove the drive directly from the system.
Force ejecting the drives may disturb the boot records of the drives from the system which helps the Operating systems to read and access the external drives. Once it is disturbed, it’s hard for the OS to get access to that drive. It may also happen to the partition on the internal hard drive if the user avoids shutting down the system through the proper shutdown procedure. Directly switching off the system due to any reason may disturb the boot records for internal partitions too.
If you are unable to get access to any partition of your Hard Drive on double clicking and getting the error: Hard drive Partition not accessible. The parameter is incorrect, then there’s no need to panic for the data loss.
Here are some of the conditions faced by users. If yours is in here, then I hope the solution may work for you.
1) For any partition for e.g. ” D:/ Hard drive Partition not accessible. The Parameter is incorrect.” error is displayed.
2) You need to Format the drive before you can use it.
3) The “Disk management” in “Device manager” of Windows shows the partition as “RAW DISK”.
4) The space available and space free shown is “0″. It’s because the Windows is unable to read the Partition and hence shows it as an empty drive. The data is still intact.
If everything fails to get access to the disk like using “CHKDSK” command etc. in command prompt. You need to save the data to another data drive.
Here’s the solution for the Hard drive Partition not accessible problem:
Fix for Hard drive Partition not accessible. The parameter is incorrect
1) Just arrange a Linux Ubuntu Operating System CD (or try plugging the drive in Mac OS). If you do not have Linux, then download any Linux environment from the internet (I used Linux Mint). Its free of cost. Install it in a Flash drive or write it on a blank CD. You will need a Live USB creator to create a bootable pen drive. Download it from here: Live USB creator
2) Insert the disk/flash drive or CD whichever one you are using and restart the Computer.
3) Boot from the CD and select “Try UBUNTU” instead of installing it or Boot from Flash Drive and do the same. If you want, you can install the Linux in Windows using the “WUBI installer” provided along with the Linux OS.
4) Let the Linux boot. Once in there, you may get access to the Disk and can save your Data to another drive.
5) When you are done, restart the PC in Normal Windows mode.
6) Format the inaccessible Partition and now you can copy back the Data to same Drive. If you have the Windows OS DVD, you can try repairing the operating system by booting the system from the DVD itself and then selecting repair from the options available.
Note: No need to buy any paid softwares for recovery, not even the trial versions. No Third party Partition manager. Most of them don’t work. If you want, you can try free softwares available for downloading.
Hope the procedure may help in solving hard drive partition not accessible problem